Phew I've been productive today! I always find my days off really stressful because I always have so much to do! I feel like I'm busy all the time here- not that I'm complaining!- but it does mean I leave everything until my day off! Today I have been to collect a package, hand-washed my clothes (this dress is handwash only so I thought I'd save a trip to the launderette and do it in the sink!), written two articles (I'm in Boston next week so I had to get ahead!), skyped my parents, written my This Week I post, made a sweet potato and spinach curry and I took these photos and am writing this blog! Good day! I'm going out for dinner tonight (to the same place where I had half-price sushi last week!) and I only found out about it about 3pm so I've been on overdrive all afternoon. I'm going to New York again tomorrow, and then on my next two days off I'm in Boston and then the next day off after that I'm going to Six Flags! Time is running out quickly so I'm trying to squeeze as much in as possible while I can!
mint shorts- H&M
mint polka dot blouse- Primark
necklace- Forever 21
A few weeks ago, someone asked me to post a kind of everyday New Jersey outfit. The kind of thing I wear on my days off or evenings out. For the most part, I just wear the dresses I brought with me (you've seen them all a million times already!) or I just throw on a pair of shorts and a shirt. I didn't think it would be too interesting for you to see an outfit of denim shorts and a tshirt, so I wore this slightly prettier interpretation of shorts and a shirt today. A few of the outfits I've posted here recently have been too hot to wear all day, but this is actually what I've worn today and what I'll be wearing today. I was going to curl my hair and do my makeup all pretty but then I decided if it was going to be a real, everyday outfit, I wanted everything else to be real and everyday. The humidity here means there's absolutely no point curling my hair as it falls out after five minutes, and the truth is I almost never curl it. 9 times out of 10 now my hair is in a ponytail or a sock bun. My hair is always full of chlorine from the waterpark and I wear it in a pony for work, so it always just goes up if I go out after work. Let's not talk about the fact I'm getting light roots and my hair is about a thousand different shades of brown right now. Or the fact that my eyebrows are an absolute hot mess because I'm awful at plucking them and I'm yet to find time to get them waxed. But let's talk about my tan lines. Because they're hilarious.
Yeah that's what happens when you sit in a chair in the sun all day in shorts and a tshirt. I've started trying to take my shirt off and just wear my bathing suit more, but that often results in really bad bathing suit lines! It's funny because all the lifeguards at work have these same tan lines! Mine aren't really that noticeable except for in short shorts and in my bathing suit. I've never really had a real tan before. I don't really like the sun and my Mum had skin cancer a few years ago so I'm always super careful. I'm also British with Irish grandparents so I was made to be pale! I expected to be red and sore all summer, but I'm actually surprised that I tan!
Anyway, I'd better go get ready to go out! I hope you've had a lovely day!
I've been generally really bad at the internet this week. Not having 3G is frustrating when you're out and about all day, which is why I don't have a lot of photos, and also why I tend to forget what I've been doing all week (is it sad that when I write these posts I have to look back over my tweets to remember what I've been doing? Yeah...). Outfit posts will be coming up this week, and I'm also going to New York again tomorrow so I'll hopefully have some photos from that too!
- discovered that the hypen on my keyboard is broken so I have to copy and paste in every hyphen I need. Which is very difficult for these posts. - found out as a result of this I am going to need to buy a whole new keyboard for my laptop. Waaaah. - played water volleyball after work on Monday - remembered that I really, really suck at most sports. Especially volleyball apparently - managed to touch the ball about three times. The embarrassing part was I was trying so, so hard! The only time I got it over the net was when it hit me in the face and bounced off my head! - felt undeserved of my Breakwater Bucks (they're like a reward scheme we have at the waterpark-if you do something good you get a Breakwater Buck and you can use them for food etc. at the park) as a result of winning the volleyball contest - had the greatest meal ever- nachos followed by sushi
- had the greatest meal ever for $10. It's definitely about half price ladies night!
- realised as I was writing this how much I use my hyphen - remembered how violently orange Fanta is in this country
- decided that I really, really need a Mophie charging iPhone case after Genna bought one in New York - bought two MAC eyeshadows and came home to find I already had one of them (sushi flower and pink venus) - survived my first 8.30-9pm shift - discovered that wearing a santa hat is a good way to survive a 12 hour day - thanked god pinterest for the sock bun in the humidity - booked my trip to Boston! - ordered a Boston guide book so I know where I'm going - experienced some more crazy East Coast storms (but luckily they weren't as bad as the ones in New York) - got super-homesick watching the Olympic Opening Ceremony - discovered that chilli, cream cheese and cheese dip is amazing (I think anything that contains those ingredients is going to be awesome!) - found that eating olympic ice cream cake definitely helps
- ate my first ice cream cake!
- was gutted to find out I missed seeing Frank Turner in the pre-olympic ceremony. He's one of my favourite artists - got excited when I remembered I'm going to see him for the 6th time in November - tried on some amazing leopard print jeans in H&M (going to see if my Mum can find them at our local store for when I get home!)
- continued the hunt for the perfect floral jeans - had one of those horribly stressful and awkward days with my friend Bri that we will definitely laugh about in years to come. It was about as awkward as any day could ever be. - found out that if you buy one of the huge huge coffees from Starbucks you can actually fit it into two tall cups - went to Marshalls, the mall, and the grocery store in my uniform and without a speck of makeup after work. This is an achievement. - discovered a new awesome salad- broccoli, chickpeas, tomatoes and feta
- had two more fake-rescues this week - discovered that I am a very cautious lifeguard. I jump in just in case, even though every time so far the person has been okay. Probably not a bad trait to have in a lifeguard but it does mean I end up absolutely soaked! - drank my smoothie out of a red solo cup
- discovered that cotton wool pads make a really good plug if you don't have one for your sink! - celebrated my friend Gerianna's birthday with pink birthday cake and white zinfandel (my favourite wine!) - hung out with my housemates at their mini party on Sunday night - received some lovely tights from Tights Please (can't wait until it's cold enough to wear them!)
Warning: This post is going to be photo-heavy! As you know, on Tuesday I went to New York for the day with my friend Genna. It's crazy that I live close enough to just go for the day. I love New York. It's such a magical city, and it was so nice to go without the pressure of "oh we must see this and do this" because I've done all that before. We went bright and early at 8.30am. We drove through the city streets listening to n*sync and Backstreet Boys, talked all the way there, spent forever trying to find parking, and basically spent the whole day walking the beautiful streets of New York City. We walked past the Empire State Building drinking iced Starbucks treats. We had our photo taken by a man from Starbucks sipping on free samples. We went to Central Park and posed by the Alice in Wonderland statue (Genna has the picture on her phone though!), we saw a couple who had just gotten engaged (my cousin actually proposed to his wife in Central Park). We walked for hours and hours, fueled by froyo (so good!). We searched high and low for the MAC store which had moved from its former place in Times Square. And then we met the lovely Kallie of Happy Honey and Lark for outfit photos, amazing Mexican food, margaritas and blog talk. It was just an absolutely lovely day from start to finish.
Kallie is seriously so much fun. I'm always super nervous about meeting people who I know from blogging because I'm such a huge nerd in real life, and I'm always worried it's going to be awkward, but it wasn't awkward one bit! It's so funny because after a few minutes you realise you already know so much about each other that it's easy! We talked about blogging and our favourite bloggers, boys, college, grown-ups jobs, travel. It was like we'd be friends for years! It's so nice to meet someone you get on with so well online, because she is exactly the kind of person I would have instantly liked had I met her in real life! She was also sweet enough to take some outfit photos for me. I love having another blogger take my outfit photos for me because they totally understand!
dress- c/o Glamorous
sandals- New Look
necklace- Forever 21
And this is Genna! Doesn't she look way more like a blogger than me? Plus we did not purposefully colour co-ordinate our outfits!
I only brought a couple of dresses with me to New Jersey and I honestly thought I'd be living in shorts, but I wish I'd brought more dresses now! I've been wearing this one quite a lot even though I know this is the first time I've posted it on my blog. I actually have another set of photos ready to go up with this dress but I haven't had a chance to post them! Also, I am getting light roots through which is why I look a little bit bald in some of these photos! Dark roots were the bane of my life for 10 years but light roots are even worse! I also blame my sock bun, but on a 90 degree day in New York it had to be done!
Anyway, that was my trip to New York! I'm already planning to go back next Tuesday and see the city and Kallie again. You'll also be glad to here I've booked my trip to Boston- wheeee!
Wheee I'm just about ready to go to New York today, but I have a little time for a quick update! I'm super excited to go to New York. You might remember that I went with my parents last year, and because of that I was like "ah I don't mind that much about going back", but when you live in New Jersey, you have to go a couple of times (I think so at least!) and I'm really excited to go back and see "the real New York". I'm going with a friend who goes to Columbia, so I'm hoping to see all the underground places I didn't get to last time- cute boutiques and vintage shops and really good food. Ooh and a trip to MAC! We're only going for a day, but I think it's going to be a lot of fun. Even though I think it's going to be about a million degrees. Sock bun and light chiffon dresses are the way forward. Speaking of which, I think I've finally perfected my sock bun. It's slightly off-centre, but it's much neater than usual. I am very proud. Seriously, what did we do before the sock bun? I think I would be dying in the New Jersey humidity without them!
This was what I wore yesterday. For the most part at least. By mid-afternoon I was so hot I was in shorts and a ponytail. But this was what I wore for most of the day. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with these trousers. On the website they looked much more fitted and straight cut (like my swan trousers), but they're a little too loose in real life. I wanted skinny floral trousers and this isn't really what these are. I think the major problem is that they're a little big. They didn't have an 8 in stock, so I couldn't send them back and get a smaller size, so I cut the label out and vowed to learn to love them. I'm considering getting them tailored when I get home. I would like them to fit a little better around the hips and calves. We'll see. Anyway, I actually quite like this outfit, despite slightly ill-fitting trousers. Next on my list is some floral jeans. I am in love with these ones from AX Paris but they're out of stock in my size! Hey remember when I never wore trousers?!
tank top- Topshop
sandals- New Look
necklace- Forever 21
lipstick- MAC Impassioned
Well I'm off to the city that never sleeps (isn't it funny that I can just pop over to New York for the day?!)! I have my camera ready so I'll take lots of photos. I'm also hopefully meeting up with the lovely Kallie so I'm excited for a little blogger meet up!
The weather here has been pretty gross this week, so my week has been quite quiet. A lot of movie-watching and eating and reading my Kindle. This was supposed to go up last night, but I went to go see The Dark Knight Rises so I didn't get time! I should have a couple of outfit posts coming up soon too.
- finished work early twice due to the horrific weather in New Jersey
- didn't work at all on Friday due to the horrific weather in New Jersey
- had another fun day at the boardwalk
- ate delicious tuna bites and froyo
- had a fun day at the outlet malls on our unexpected day off
- managed to avoid buying ANYTHING (I did try on some lovely red jeans though, but I think I'll get some when I get home!)
- made the decision to go to Boston alone
- realised, yet again, how amazing you guys are for always having faith in me - downloaded Boston travel guides for my kindle to prepare me for my trip
- listened to Call Me Maybe on repeat for the whole journey back from the outlet malls
- ate my first cornbread
- went to a really fun international BBQ
- ate s'mores (cooked over a fire this time), and set one of my marshmallows on fire, as always
- tried dirt for the first time
- and inevitably ate so much I thought I was going to be sick
- re-read my dissertation (glad I did it after I got my marks back- the typos made me cringe!)
-watched Catfish (very interesting movie)
- made a very disappointing Greek salad (I couldn't finish it!)
- ate some very bad meals (ice cream for dinner, anyone?)
- thoroughly enjoyed watching 21 Jump Street with my housemates
- massively over-plucked my left eyebrow- wax appointment needed!
- received my new trousers, dithered about whether to keep them, and then cut out the label so I had no choice - had my first fake-rescue. A little boy went down one of the slides, went under the water, came up and splashed around and then went back under the water. I blew my whistle and jumped in. I went to grab him from under the water and asked if he was okay. He told me he was fine and swam off. Gutted my first rescue wasn't a real rescue. - discovered that it's actually true that in an emergency you can use saliva to clean your contact lenses. Yep, it's gross, but desperate times! - went to see The Dark Knight Rises. And it's amazing. Seriously, if you haven't already seen it, go do it. I didn't think anything could compare with The Dark Knight but it's absolutely amazing. And I didn't think I could love Joseph Gordon Levitt any more than I already did - had an overwhelming urge to email my American Studies professors to see what they thought of The Dark Knight Rises. We had a lecture on The Dark Knight in my second year and its political implications, and I found TDKR even more politically motivated, so I'd be interested to hear what they thought. - made plans to meet Kallie in New York tomorrow! - got very excited to go to New York tomorrow!