June Life Lately
Where I went
In June we also took our first ever holiday with Bobby and went to Anglesey! We took Bobby to the beach for the first time, had ice cream, did lots of lovely walks and visited a couple of new-to-us National Trust sites. The weather was definitely not in our favour most of the week but we didn't care. It was so nice to have a little break and our first holiday since February 2020. Very grateful to the pet-friendly option on AirBnb! I can't wait to do it again.
What I did
What I read
What I loved
What I watched
We saw A Quiet Place 2 for our first trip which I thought was great fun, and then we went to see a film I've genuinely been waiting for for about 4 years, In The Heights!
After watching Bo Burnham's Inside in May, Phil has become utterly obsessed with him, so we watched two of his previous specials What and Make Happy last month. We also finally finished I May Destroy You which was just utterly genius, and among all the football watched one film, You Were Never Really Here.
What I listened to
What I wrote
What I read online
- Vox - The Bubblegum Misogyny of 2000s pop culture and this article on Paris Hilton's sex tape
- Repeller - The Discipline Trap: When self control is your drug of choice
- Harpers - The Anxiety of Influencers
- Grazia - Is It Any Wonder I Have Body Image Issues When I Was Told These Women Were Fat?
- Virginia Sole-Smith - The Grandparents are not okay and related from The Times - OK boomer, keep your fat-shaming to yourself
- The Independent - I just hate stirring’: Rukmini Iyer on bringing her one-pot, vegetarian cooking style to the barbecue
- Yes and Yes - 5 Ways to deal when your day gets off course and How much happiness is enough?
- The Guardian - ‘I felt nauseous in Topshop’: why a fashion editor gave up buying new clothes - As someone who now shops pretty much exclusively second-hand, I related to this so much
- Maybe Baby - What's up with Instagram? also, Beauty Anxiety
- Refinery 29 - I'm not sure I'm the same person I was before the pandemic
- Vox - Chrissy Teigan's fall from grace
- Teen Vogue - Toxic work environments shouldn't be a rite of passage
- Culture Study - "Eating disorders are for white girls", also Towards a unified theory of Peloton and this fantastic piece on the difference of experiences between black and white preschoolers
- The Guardian - "Even when the pandemic has passed I’ll still make a meal of mealtimes"
- Cybernaught - Caught up the study web
- Meg Elison - Poor in tech
- Jezebel - The enduring spectacle of fat suits in Hollywood
- Writing Between Pauses - Life Lately: Summer Edition - I have sooooo many feelings on Michelle's intro here, especially as she was the second person in a week I saw say "blogging is dead". So maybe there's a blog post for me there (the irony, right?).