July Life Lately
What I did
Phil and I took a few days off work last week and on one day we dropped Bobby off at my Mum's and had a day together in Manchester. I've been in and out of town quite a few times since the world reopened but we hadn't been much together and it had been over a year since we last had a proper day in town. It's been nearly four and a half year since we lived in the city centre, so we did a lot of "oh that's new! What did that used to be?", had lunch at Dishoom and cocktails at Refuge and had to go have a look at our old building. It's amazing how much has changed in four years!
Back in 2019, a few weeks after we got married, we had one of the best days ever at Buckle and Boots Country Music Festival with my parents. Last year's event was cancelled of course, but we were so glad to be able to go again this year! It was so much fun singing and dancing along to country music surrounded by people wearing stetsons and cowboy boots. I can't wait to go again next year!
What I read
What I watched
What I loved
What I read online
- Substack - Virginia Sole-Smith is reexamining diet culture, plus also Virginia Sole-Smith on how health conditions don't only affect fat people, and "processed food" (I really, really, really love Virginia Sole-Smith if you don't already know)
- The Guardian - How my Grandma taught me to cook over Whatsapp
- Writing Between Pauses - Why I started posting whatever I wanted on Instagram again
- Maybe Baby - On spoilers and Anti-motivational poster
- The New Statesman - How “millennial money management” sells young people the illusion of financial control
- The Guardian - Jay Rayner on summer food
- Prism - What I learned from going vegan, also I thought I needed sleep. Then I found rest, and Why having fun is good for your mental health
- Refinery29 - Do you trust this Momfluencer? Good because she's trying to sell you something
- Anne Helen Petersen - Who's afraid of the 4 day week?
- Yes and Yes - How to rediscover what makes you happy
- The Conversation - What makes a great football anthem?
- Slate - Cat Person and Me (aka, the story that dominated Book Twitter last month)